I turned 25 yesterday and have officially hit the appropriate age for a quarter life crisis (although I’m fairly confidence I peaked early, as I’ve had about 3 existential crisis’s in the last 6 months). I’m going to try avoid the quarter life crisis (for now) and instead, wanted to celebrate this milestone with a list (because if there’s one thing my mum taught me, it’s that there is no problem in life a well-ordered list can’t solve) of 25 lessons I’ve learnt in the first 25 years of life.
- Do what is best for you.
- Put down your phone and read the darn book.
- Bloom where you’re planted.
- Follow through when you say ‘yes’ and be happy when you say ‘no’.
- Nobody remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep.
- You develop resilience by staring adversity in the face and refusing to bow down.
- Everyone gets a sunset, but only the dedicated get a sunrise.
- Speak encouragement. Our soul is only as happy as our tongue.
- God doesn’t call the qualified, He qualifies the called.
- Say ‘yes’ to the party invite, the worst that happens is you get there, hate it and leave.
- Set your life on fire and seek those who fan your flames.
- Your worth is not defined by others.
- Work on the things you can control.
- Don’t say sorry for things you don’t need to be sorry for. (Women say ‘sorry’ 20% more than men.)
- When you meet someone, look them in the eye and give a firm handshake.
- Let people know what you’re passionate about. Use your voice and use it well.
- A good sunset and a cup of tea can solve almost any worry.
- Eat the ice-cream but eat the salad too.
- Sometimes the only reason you need for doing something is ‘it sounded fun’.
- I am made of all the moments you don’t see, not just the one you do.
- Your vibe attracts your tribe – speak love even in the hardest of times.
- Find your family, find your village and love them hard.
- If you continue to water the seeds you have sown, there will be fruit.
- Your potential is limitless – you just need to believe that.
- Allow your heart to be at ease knowing that what was meant for you will never miss you and that which misses you was never meant for you.
I’ve probably missed a few things (like coffee is good for your soul and coriander belongs in the bin, not on top of your meal), but this list typifies some of the most pivotal moments of my life. Some of these lessons were born out of joy, while others out of heartbreak. Some were hard pills to swallow, while others are works of nature’s serendipity. While they may not be super thought provoking, or be revelations that will change your life, they’re written examples of the fabric that has made up the first 25 years of my life. I really enjoyed writing these 25 truths and I look forward to writing many more in the years to come.
Here’s to having the privilege of growing older, to forging your path and to cultivating a life you are proud of (quarter life crisis’s included 😉 )