This week, I’m another year older and another year wiser (and all that other nonsense…). I’m now deep into my mid-twenties and still have no idea what I’m doing – although I’m starting to learn, that’s the narrative of life isn’t it?!
I ‘survived’ my quarter life crisis (just kidding – I had about 3 of them in 6 months, but here I am to tell the tale so I suppose that’s a win?). So in honour of my 26th year (and the fact that I love a really good list) – here’s 26 lessons from 26 year old me…
- Compassion is one of the greatest gifts you can give (to others and yourself).
- Persistence pays off
- Who you are right now is more valuable than who you ‘hope’ to be.
- Set the bar high and don’t lower it
- You are allowed to be fearlessly authentic
- Don’t drink coffee after 2pm
- Food is not a currency. You do not have to ‘earn’ it.
- Similarly, exercise is not a punishment for what you ate.
- Your twenties are tricky. The traditional version of ‘success’ is obsolete, and nobody knows what they’re doing.
- Your future is too bright to be derailed by other people’s opinions
- By pretending to be someone else, you’re missing out on who God created you to be.
- It is an honour to be a role model
- Old wounds can be healed – but it takes a little bit of hard work.
- You are allowed to be happy where you are, even if it’s not your final destination.
- Hearts are prettier when they’re thankful for what they’ve been given.
- Speak life, speak truth and speak love.
- Your favourite moments will be the extraordinarily ordinary ones.
- You need a solid home team – the ones who are there no matter what. Don’t compromise on who you want in your corner.
- Even if you’ve got the long distance friendship nailed with your best friends – you’re still allowed to miss them a whole lot.
- Serving others is mutually beneficial. You will gain more than you give.
- Laugh. Laugh hard and laugh often
- You are allowed to be homesick for places that are no longer home.
- Teenagers can teach you a thing or two
- Long drives are good for your soul
- Consume the content, listen to the podcast and audiobook, but also find moments of stillness.
- You are an evolving being – and that’s the best bloody bit about growing up.
As I navigate 26, I’m sure there’ll be a few more learnings. It’s not going to all be smooth sailing, but I feel lucky to be equipped with the knowledge and support from a community that loves me, that’ll help me navigate any storm and celebrate with me, all the goodness that 26 brings.